Thursday, April 12, 2012

On guarding your heart

"Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it flows the springs of life"

I cannot agree more with this verse. Things happen in life. The good and the bad, it's a package. Give yourself time to heal but don't dwell and linger on it. It's perfectly alright to be angry but don't abuse this entitlement. Anger is the fastest and surest route to bitterness. There are so many things to get angry over. Ask me what are my peeves, oh, the list is endless. Not having breakfast on the table can get me started some mornings. Waiting for buses never fails to set me off in lousy moods. Forgetting my assignment at home when it's due the very same day. There are some days where the 'yuhan moments' go on and on much as it gets on me sometimes when people say 'ohhoney' (that's my pet name for some) in the why-am-i-not-surprise tone.

Take this tuesday 2 weeks ago. I left my assignment at home so I actually had to rush home during the one hour break in between classes to grab it. As I was submitting, I spotted mistakes which I just didnt see throughout the 10 over times I was revising it. On the way to church, the sole of my shoes came off. I had every reason to sulk and detour home and be angry with the world. But I did what I had to do. I braced myself, and I laughed it off. I laughed at my predicament. Sometimes, you need to laugh at yourself to make the anger go.

Take yesterday, you can refer to the previous entry for evidence. It was easy to get mad. It felt like nothing was going right. We often dont get the chance to decide what happens to us. But we have a choice to decide how we want to react to situations. We have a choice to guard our hearts. Guard your heart from falling into the temptations of being angry and instead, choose to be thankful. I tend to believe that something good will come out of the situation when you choose joy and gratitude over anger and unforgiveness.

So this morning, I awoke to an email asking for my confirmation to a job interview that will take place next week. I am thankful. If you have read the previous entry, I was just fretting over the replies last night but I made a choice to be thankful. Im not saying I will definitely secure the job but Im thankful, regardless. Be thankful for blessings. Credit the blessings. That way, you will find so many things in life to be thankful about.

For myself, I have been trying to incorporate gratitude as my way of life. I want gratitude to be a cornerstone of my character. I want my heart to be filled with thankfulness every day of my life. I thank God for my family every night. I am thankful that my family is so extravagant in their love, both instrumentally and emotionally. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful that I am going to US of A this June!!!!! Let me explain why. I entertained thoughts of a grad trip to UK with my friends but it was no more than a fleeting idea because as you guys probably know by now, I am not a big saver. I certainly do not have the financial ability to do so. So I lowered my expectations and told myself I would be satisfied with Vietnam with my closer friends. But we are not the most decisive people around and to cut things short, I was prepared to forego my grad trip. It didn't come as a loss to me because frankly, UK or Vietnam wouldn't run away. (can't say the same for venice though, sigh). I have learned to go easier on my expectations and myself because it makes life much easier for my heart and my emotions. So imagine my surprise when I was made an offer for a trip to SF for 2 weeks where I can defer on my payment. Never in my wildest imagination have I visualized myself going to America this June. I might have laughed it off your face if you told me at the start of the year. I always told myself it's okay even if friends are traveling all across the globe with their parents' help. I was happy being independent of my parents' resources (at least when it comes to my own entertainment expenses). But gratitude and simplicity in my outlook rewards. Guess God really knows to reward above and beyond what you can imagine every time. I am so thankful that words cannot express my excitement and joy. And more than everything, I am thankful that I serve such a great God. So,

US BABY, HERE WE COME!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home