Saturday, May 19, 2012

40 day exercise challenge

I know I mentioned some weeks ago that I was challenging myself to a 40 day oat and vegetable diet. I regret to say that the plan didn't go as smoothly as I anticipated it to be because it is almost impossible and impractical. Imagine your friends asking you out for a meal and you either reject them or tell them sheepishly that you are on an oat diet. I always find it an embarrassment to tell people that I am on a diet because after awhile, I suspect people will start to wonder 'why doesn't she look slimmer' after half a month. Or imagine your family wants to go out for dinner to celebrate Mothers' Day and you excuse yourself with 'oh I have to follow my oat diet very strictly. Please go ahead without me.' It is a conversation and relationship killer. 


So being the practical person that I am, with some adjustments, I have instead challenged myself to a 40 day exercise regime. It is definitely easier as opposed to a oat diet because you can still do your daily exercise without compromising on meet ups with your friends or family. And of course, it is much easier telling me that you have picked up exercising because you want to be fitter (and of course, look better.) But it is taking all the discipline out of me. I am on my 7th day tonight and I hope to reach my 21st day the night before I fly off to US. The plan is to continue even on my SF trip if safety allows so that it can eventually become a lifestyle.


Having said that, the real challenge in keeping up with a jogging (or any exercise regime) is when you don't see results. For instance, most of us exercise simply to lose weight and if lucky, the by-product is a healthier us. Few of us choose to exercise to develop stronger hearts and fitter muscles (unless ordained by a doctor). Most of us look at the aesthetic appeal of exercising. This is why I often abort my exercise regime after a week or two because I don't see my jeans becoming loose. I tend to neglect the physical aspect of being healthier. For starters, my stamina has increased just by picking up jogging after one week. This time round, I want to challenge myself to expand my capacity and stretch my discipline. I always believed that discipline in one aspect of your life tends to spill over to all other aspects of your life, likewise for all other character traits. Being disciplined in keeping oneself physically fit would essentially mean that one would be discipline in his / her work life, finances and anything in their lives which require discipline. It's as simple as that. So pick up that running shoes, and work your heart!


The only valid excuse for not exercising is paralysis.  ~Moira Nordholt


There are really only two requirements when it comes to exercise.  One is that you do it.  The other is that you continue to do it.  ~Jennie Brand-Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell, Stephen Colagiuri, Alan W. Barclay


Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart.  ~Gene Tunney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home